Sunday, October 14, 2007

A late-night update

Hello, world. It's getting a bit late, (for me it's 5 'till 11) and I'm tired, and I have a zoology test at 8 tomorow morning for which I still need to study a bit more, but I felt like writing a post anyway. Yay for procrastination!

I went to a party at my zoology prof's house today with a lot of other biology or zoology students. It was a blast. We hung out in his gorgeous backyard, gazed at his really pretty pond, looked for frogs in his stream, searched for grasshoppers in his field to use as bait to fish in his pond....ate hamburgers, talked, and basically goofed off in the gorgeous outdoors weather for a few hours. I had a ball.

Then after we had fun at his house we went to a bridge where a colony of bats roost. There are supposed to be about seven million bats there. Seven million. That's a lot of bats. And as we learned really quickly, a lot of bat poop. Or guano, if you want to get technical. And many little dead bat bodies on the ground.

So we stood and sat around waiting for the bats to come out en masse, and they don't. We wait some more, and a few come out, but they don't fly out like we were watching for. They just swoop around under the bridge a bit and then go back into their little crevasse. We wait some more, and it starts to sprinkle. I love my zoology prof...he's so funny. We were all feeling the sprinkling rain, and he says "Feel that moisture? That's bat pee. They're peeing and the wind is blowing it over here and that's the moisture we're feeling on our bodies." So we're getting grossed out and saying "I really hope that's rain, not bat pee, because I will freak out." And then it starts raining harder, and my prof finally says "Oh, wait, it's rain." It was hilarious. He had experienced the wind-blowing-bat-pee-so-it-feels-like-rain thing before, so he had a reason to think that.

The bats never really came out. That was because they could sense the rain and it's a big hassle to fly in the rain. So they were waiting it out.

Ok, now I have to study for my test a bit more and then get some sleep. My test is over sponges, protozoa, and mammals. Whoohoo.

G'night, world.

~Kera

2 comments:

Roheryn said...

that sounds like fun!
and deja vu... but I remember being told that before... but I remember talking to someone who was telling me that... not over the internet

Anonymous said...

hey hey! this is katelyn. see I care. I enjoyed reading what is going on in your life. sorry I didn't get to stop by when I went though austin, but it was at lik 2:30am on friday night, and Sunday we had to get back. but i hope things are going well. your trip to belize sounds awesome!